Census Primary School Programme – Terms and Conditions
a) The 2021 Census primary school education programme (the ‘Programme’) and the Let’s Count! Competition (the ‘Competition’) are run by the Office for National Statistics of 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ (the ‘Promoter’, ‘we’, ‘us’).
b) By applying to take part in or taking part in the Programme and/or submitting a Competition entry, you are (i) agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions (the ‘Terms and Conditions’) and (ii) confirming that you have the permission of your school to do so. All entry instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions.
c) The Promoter may in its absolute discretion refuse to award any prize to any entrant who fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
d) All individuals completing an application to participate in the Programme or entering the Competition must be authorised by their school to accept these Terms and Conditions, apply to participate in the Programme and make the relevant Competition entry or entries. The Promoter reserves the right to verify such authority before providing resource packs and/or awarding any prize.
1. The Programme and Competition are open to teachers from all primary schools within England and Wales. Competition entries and Programme registrations from schools outside of these areas will be invalid.
2. The Competition starts at 7.00am on Monday 4 January 2021 (‘Start Date’) and closes at 11.59pm on Friday 23 April 2021 (the ‘Closing Date’). Entries received after the closing date will be invalid. You do not need to enter the Competition to take part in the Programme. You may work on your Competition entry at any time prior to the Competition Start Date but you should not submit your Competition entry until the Start Date.
HOW TO TAKE PART IN THE PROGRAMME
3. a) Visit the Programme registration website and enter all details required including your contact details, school name and school address.
b) Once all details are received, the education resource pack will be dispatched to you from January 2021, subject to availability.
c) Packs are limited and will be sent on a first come first served basis.
HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION
4. To enter the Competition you must:
i) read and agree to these terms and conditions,
ii) complete and submit the Competition entry form on the Competition website,
iii) provide us with one or more images (maximum 6) and/or a link to a video showing the display created by the children at school,
iv) provide no more than 150 words describing what you counted at school and why it mattered to you.
v) if images or footage of people are included in the Competition entry, inform those people, or their parents/guardians if they are pupils and direct them to ONS’ privacy notice (available at letscount.hocext.co.uk or www.gadewchinigyfrif.org.uk otherwise their images cannot be included in the Competition entry), and
vi) confirm that all work included in the Competition entry complies with the content rules for Competition entries provided in your Programme pack (‘Content Rules’) and these Terms and Conditions.
5. You must also provide the Promoter with such other information and cooperation as the Promoter and its agents may reasonably request in relation to the Competition.
6. A maximum of 3 entries are permitted from each primary school. If we receive more than 3 entries from the same primary school, we will only include the first 3 we receive in the Competition.
7. The Promoter will not accept responsibility for Competition entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, incomplete, unreadable or unable to be viewed, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
8. By submitting a Competition entry, you confirm that you have all necessary rights, together with all necessary consents and permissions from the school, from staff members and other individuals included in the Competition entry and from the parents or guardians of all children named or shown in the Competition entry.
9. For help with Competition entries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONTENT RULES FOR COMPETITION ENTRIES
10. Your Competition entry must comply with the Content Rules below. The Promoter reserves the right to require evidence of relevant permissions before awarding any prize.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
11. Entries will undergo the following judging process:
o Each valid entry from an eligible school will be assessed by an independent third party (the ‘Agency’), appointed by the Promoter, using the following equally weighted criteria: a) Quality of counting project and how it matters to the school b) Quality and creativity of displays submitted and c) Level and quality of pupil input in the entry submitted, based on the age of the children who took part.
o The Agency shall submit a shortlist of up to 5 entries for each area to the Promoter. This will (where possible and at the Agency’s discretion) be comprised of 5 schools per area (i.e. 9 English regions and Wales).
o The Promoter reserves the right to permit the Agency to shortlist fewer than 5 schools per area (or more than 5 schools in another area) in the absence of valid entries or entries of sufficient quality or where it deems appropriate in its absolute discretion. No more than 50 schools will be shortlisted in total.
o The shortlisted entries will be judged by a panel of at least 5 judges, including senior members of the Promoter and at least one independent judge, using the same criteria as in Stage 1.
o The panel will select one winner for each of the 10 areas (area winners), and an overall winner from among the 10 area winners.
o The decision of the panel of judges will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
The overall winner and area winners (the ‘Winning Entrants’) will be notified of their status by phone or email using the school details and contact name provided in the Competition entry, on or before the 18th June 2021 (the ‘Notification Date’).
12. Winning Entrants will be expected to agree to take part in post-competition publicity as determined by the Promoter, if required.
13. There will be up to one area winner for each of the 10 areas (one of which will be the overall winner) depending upon the number and quality of entries received. There will be no more than one prize awarded per area winner. In each case, the prize will be awarded to the school of the person who submitted the Competition entry, rather than any staff member(s), pupil(s), group or class. The overall winner will receive the main prize only – they will not also receive the area winner prize. The 9 remaining area winners (other than the area winner selected to win the main prize) will win the area winner prize only.
Main Prize for overall winner:
- £1,000 worth of equipment selected by the Promoter;
Prize for area winner (excluding the area winner selected as the overall winner):
- £250 worth of equipment selected by the Promoter;
More details of the prizes will be provided by the Promoter prior to the Competition Start Date.
14. Prizes will be awarded to the Winning Entrants’ school within 30 days of the Notification Date.
15. The Winning Entrants are responsible for providing the Promoter with all necessary and relevant details required to fulfil the prizes.
16. Prizes are as stated only and cannot be deferred or transferred. There is no cash alternative. Warranty claims or other claims relating to defects in equipment prizes should be directed to the manufacturer supplying the prize. The Promoter reserves the right (but is not obliged) to substitute a reasonably equivalent alternative prize, of equal or greater value, should circumstances make this necessary.
CLAIMING THE PRIZE
17. The Promoter reserves the right to select another winner if any Winning Entrant does not claim the relevant prize within 14 days following the Notification Date, or if the Competition entry is found to be in breach of any of these Terms and Conditions.
18. Winning Entrants shall not discuss the results of the Competition with any third party (including posts on social media) unless and until express consent is received from the Promoter.
OWNERSHIP OF COMPETITION ENTRIES AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
19. The Promoter does not claim any rights of ownership in any Competition entry.
20. You agree that the Promoter may, but is not required to, make your entry available on its website and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity relating to the Competition and Programme. The Promoter reserves the right to edit any Competition entry which it believes may expose it to legal claims for intellectual property infringement prior to publication.
21. You grant the Promoter (and shall ensure that anyone else involved in the Competition entry grants to the Promoter) an exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the Competition entry and any accompanying materials, to (in all media): use, display, publish, transmit, broadcast, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format, reproduce in any advertising or promotional material and sub-license the Competition entry and any accompanying materials in order to make your entry available on its website and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity relating to the Competition and Programme.
22. Entries will not be returned to you.
DATA PROTECTION AND PUBLICITY
23. Please see our privacy notice available at www.letscount.hocext.co.uk or www.gadewchinigyfrif.org.uk for details of how we use and share your personal information and any personal information which may be included in your Competition entry.
24. Any decision of the Promoter as to eligibility to take part in the Competition or the result of the Competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify Competition entries which are in breach of these Terms and Conditions. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel, suspend or amend the Programme or Competition or Terms and Conditions if circumstances outside of its control make it necessary to do so.
25. Schools will be responsible for any tax liability, or any other financial or funding impact arising as a result of participation in in the Competition and/or the receipt of any prize. The Promoter shall have no liability in respect of any such liability or impact.
26. The names of the winning schools will be published on the Promoter’s Let’s Count! website after 20th June 2021.
27. The Promoter is the Office for National Statistics (ONS) of 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ.
28. These Terms and Conditions and any issues, disputes or claims arising out of or in connection with it (whether contractual or non-contractual in nature) shall be governed by English law, and you and we submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
All Competition entries must comply with the following rules:
DO ensure that your:
- Image(s) is in one of the following formats: png, gif, jpg, jpeg, doc, pdf;
- Video is in one of the following formats: MPEG, mov, mp3, mp4, wav;
- Image/video file size is not be larger than 50MB;
- Video is not be longer than 60 seconds.
- ensure that any identifiable adult(s) included in your entry have given their permission, confirming that they agree to be included in the entry and to the potential uses of the entry by the Promoter in accordance with the Terms and Conditions;
- ensure that any identifiable children (age under 16) included in your entry, have the permission of a parent/guardian confirming that they agree to their child being included in the entry and to the potential uses of the entry by the Promoter in accordance with the Terms and Conditions.
- ensure that your entry (and the presentation/display included in the entry):
- is the original work of staff and pupils at your school;
- does not contain anything which is inappropriate, offensive or unlawful or may damage the reputation of the school, the Promoter or its services, or any other person (as determined by the Promoter in its sole discretion);
- does not contain, facilitate, reference or use material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual or promotes any form of discrimination, including discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, political orientation, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, or age (as determined by the Promoter at the Promoter’s sole discretion); and
- does not contain any viruses, spyware, malware, or other harmful code.